“Changing lives by putting POWER in the FLOWER.”
Power Flower is a Life and Health Science project created to bring cancer patients joy with beautiful flowers, handmade by students at Lanier using water bottles.
Why? Cancer causes patients to have a weak immune system that can’t fight fungal spores harbored in fresh flowers and plants, which could lead to infection.
Meetings are held every Friday during the second half of academy time (9:30-10:20) in Mr. Pryor’s Room (705). Stella Choi will be in there to answer any questions you have and give you more information if you would like to join.
What are Some Things We Do at Meetings?
- Cut bottles into flowers
- Paint wooden sticks green for the stem of flowers
- Hot glue pom poms to put in the middle of the flowers
- Spray paint cut flowers
- Spray paint cut vases (unused bottom of the bottle)
- Create labels with inspiring quotes for the flowers
Earning Community Service Hours
- By bringing a bag of 60 clean water bottles/soda cans to Mr. Pryor’s room during academy, you can earn 1 HOUR of community service.
The WES Leukemia Research Foundation has partnered with Lanier High School to teach Lanier students about non-profits, the need for research, and creating awareness.
Click this link to learn more about WES: http://www.wheneveryonesurvives.org/
How to Make a Water Bottle Flower
Batch of finished flowers made during the 2016-2017 school year.
- Remind 101: Text @powflopro to 81010 to get reminders about meetings
- Instagram: Wesfoundation
- Twitter: @PowerFlowerPro
- Facebook: @PowerFlowerProject
- Spray Paint
- Bottles of Regular Paint
- Kabob sticks
- Yellow/Orange Pom-Poms (medium size)
- Cardboard boxes
- Large Plastic Bags
…would be greatly appreciated!!! 🙂
Power Flower T-Shirts are being sold for $15.00!!!